Explore the Treatment Options Offered at Our Exotic Animal Clinic & Bird Hospital
Are you looking for specialized care for your bird or exotic pet? Look no further than Specialized Care For Avian & Exotic Pets! At our exotic animal clinic, we offer a variety of services for patients in Buffalo, Rochester, Batavia, Fredonia, Niagara Falls, Lockport, Erie, and more. It is our mission to prevent illness as much as possible when it comes to your pet. We take the time and effort to help maintain the wellness of every animal in our care.
At Specialized Care For Avian & Exotic Pets, we provide comprehensive, cutting-edge care for birds and exotic pets. Our bird hospital uses state-of-the-art technology to help provide a high level of care to your bird companion. The team at our exotic animal and bird hospital strives to help pet owners understand the importance of annual physicals and preventive check-ups. Preventive care is the best way to keep your pets healthy and help us catch potential health conditions early on.
We also offer emergency exotic pet care. If your pet should need x-rays and surgeries, we are fully equipped to handle these. Our avian specialist can also complete home visits for special needs situations as well as larger groups of birds.
- For more information on our exotic animal clinic, take a look at the information below or give us a call today!
What Species Do We See?
We treat a wide range of exotic species, including but not limited to...
- Birds - canaries/finches, budgerigars/parakeets, parrots of all species (including parrotlets, lovebirds, conures, quaker parrots, african grey parrots, cockatiels, cockatoos, macaws, etc), chickens and turkeys, ducks and geese, doves and pigeons, and many more...
- Small mammals - rabbits, guinea pigs, sugar gliders, flying squirrels, hedgehogs, chinchillas, degus, rats, gerbils, mice, hamsters, prairie dogs, and more!
- Reptiles/Amphibians - bearded dragons, chinese water dragons, iguanas, chameleons, geckos, monitors, skinks, non-venomous snake species, aquatic turtles, box turtles, tortoises, frogs, toads, salamanders, newts, axolotls, all species of fish, tarantulas, hermit/other crabs, scorpions, and more!
- Wildlife - We do see varying wildlife for treatment, rehabilitation and release.
What Payment Services Do We Offer?
- We accept cash, debit and credit cards - (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, American Express). We also accept Care Credit and Nationwide Pet Insurance (previously VPI).
In House Laboratory
- We do the majority of our routine bloodwork and cytology in-house. This provides you with rapid, same-day results on your pet's health status. We can also do full blood panels safely on any size patient that weighs more than 1oz. Our technicians have received specialized training to be able to perform and interpret exotic pet microscopic evaluation.
- Our clinic now has an in-house lead machine! With a very small blood sample we are able to test your pet for lead. Birds, rabbits, ferrets, and other species often get into things they aren't supposed to- if we suspect lead toxicosis, our machine allows us to have results in less than 3 minutes.
In House Radiography
- We are proud to be able to provide high quality x-rays to assist in the diagnosis of your pet's condition.
Microsurgical & Endoscopy
- Our microsurgical instruments allow our doctors to perform precise operations safely on even the tiniest patients and their delicate tissues. Our endoscopy equipment enables us to evaluate difficult to reach areas of our patient's anatomy.
- Dental problems are one of the most common reasons small mammals such as rabbits, chinchillas, and guinea pigs get sick. Even ferrets need periodic dental cleanings, just like dogs and cats do! We have specialized equipment allowing us to safely and effectively treat a wide variety of dental problems in small mammals.
- Our practice offers laser therapy as additional treatment for patients with arthritis, chronic or acute pain, feather destructive behaviors, wounds or other injuries, and post-surgical incision areas. Therapeutic lasers speed up the healing process, and provide pain relief for ongoing issues as well!
- Due to the small sizes and special needs of most of our exotic patients, many of our medications are specially compounded for us. We maintain close relationships with several area pharmacists that have special training and equipment for compounding medications for our exotic pets. Many of our medications are available from our own pharmacy. Specific or specialty prescriptions may be scripted out directly to the pharmacy. Many of these medications can be flavored to your pet's liking.
- We carry a variety of topical and nutritional products, as well as herbal supplements! Dr. Wade has worked to come up with herbal formulas such as kidney, liver, and cardiac support formulas.
Specialized Pet Foods
- All of our exotic pets have different dietary needs! We provide clients with caresheets and diet recommendations that meet the needs specific to their pet. During your pet's annual physical we will discuss diet to be sure your pet is getting optimal nutrition.
- For birds, we carry an extensive line of Harrison bird foods that come in a variety of sizes depending on species. We also have Lafeber Nutriberries that we may special order for you if desired.
- We also have Oxbow and Emeraid critical care diets on hand for herbivore, omnivore, and carnivore species. These formulas are great for sick or ailing pets that aren't eating well on their own!
- There are special situations where your pet's condition may require the assistance of a secondary specialist, such as a veterinary ophthalmologist or veterinary oncologist. We maintain close relationships with several local and regional veterinary specialists for these additional health needs and will coordinate your referral if needed.
House-Calls & Flock Visits
- We offer home visits for special needs situations as well as larger groups of birds or other animals.
- Behavioral problems such as feather plucking and excessive screaming can be very common in pet birds. If behavioral issues arise, we will address any concerns you have. You may print and fill out our Avian Behavioral Form and bring it with you to your appointment!
Microchipping & Leg-Band Removal
- We are able to microchip birds over 100 grams and can apply American Federation of Aviculture leg-bands for identification. We also have specialized equipment to safely remove any ill-fitting leg band.
- Dr. Wade and Dr. Lewis are accredited USDA veterinarians and are able to provide examination for international travel.
Contact the Certified Staff Members at Our Exotic Animal Clinic
At Specialized Care For Avian & Exotic Pets, we've made it easier than ever to properly care for your animals. In fact, we've created a new patient center to streamline your first visit to our exotic animal clinic. All you have to do is complete a few simple forms and select one of our offered payment options. Our certified staff members will take care of the rest.
As always, you're more than welcome to schedule an upcoming visit to our welcoming clinic. We invite you to reach out to one of our friendly representatives. Our team takes immense pride in assisting patients from the Buffalo, Rochester, Batavia, Fredonia, Niagara Falls, and Lockport, NY communities. On top of that, we care for animals from the Erie, PA region.